Saturday, September 30, 2006

The out of towners.

My brother Rick and his husband Gary came up to visit us this weekend. They've never been to Seattle and it'd been a year since we'd seen one another.

We had perfectly clear skies on Friday after they landed, and they got to see Seattle in all its sparkling beauty. I think they were impressed. Rick, Gary and I ignored the elephant in the room almost all afternoon, and then Ed got home and we went to Salty's for dinner.

I crashed right after dinner. Apparently the three of them talked about the elephant at length. I know it helped Ed immensely.

Sunday morning included a little session that had my brother and I talking about the elephant. My view was that the elephant exists and reality suggests we have to deal with it. Wailing about the elephant doesn't make it any less real, and in fact, it tends to make the elephant appear larger and smellier than he is.

Anyway, we sent the boys off back to Dallas on Sunday. They want to come back soon, and certainly they're more than welcome. I look forward to seeing them sometime before the elephant sits on my chest.

No comments: