Sunday, May 13, 2007

Alaska

It's funny. There's something going on in the foreground of my daily activities but I haven't mentioned it here. It's odd that I've not gone public with this opportunity, primarily because I spend some time every day planning for it or acting on it.

Two friends of mine, Brad and Tim, have planned a trip from Dallas to Prudhoe Bay on the north shore of Alaska. Yeah, that's one hell of a trip in an airplane and these guys are gonna do it on motorcycles!

Don't bother to map it. Yahoo says it's 10,400 miles round trip. Yup, TEN THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED MILES. Nuts! (Actually, I admire their moxie.)

So here's the deal. They're going to use my house in Seattle as a way-station. They'll ride their motorcycles up here from Dallas, fly back to Dallas and return here two weeks later to "re-start" from here. On their return, they'll pass thru here again and continue the next day on their way back to Dallas. The Prudhoe Bay to Dallas leg is gonna be 5200 miles with nothing more than overnight stops. Ride, sleep, ride, sleep, repeat.

Of course, since they're friends, they've asked me to come along. Ed was stupid enough to say I could go. (Yes, I asked him when he wasn't really paying attention and he consented. "Sure dear, sounds like it would be fun for you.)

So I have permission, but my adult side says "No Freaking Way". I'm not prepared to do eleven days on the road and 6200 miles round trip. The physical burden, not to mention the financial burden would be insane to tackle at this juncture. It would be an adventure and a feather in my cap, but the potential for misery and catastrophe looms large. I'm gonna be as smart as I can while still being a participant.

So, I'm gonna do about 1600 miles round-trip. I'll ride from Seattle to the beginning of the ALCAN Highway in a nice little place called Dawson Creek in British Columbia, Canada. I'll stay overnight with the guys, and then come back home. Total trip, just under 4 days. I think it'll be a good way to get back to being a real motorcyclist.

No comments: