Monday, May 07, 2007

The Seattle 100

I signed up to participate in the Seattle 100. http://www.2-fast.org/seattle-100.html

Then I sent out some donation solicitations to a few of the motorcycle organizations I belong to. Lo-and-behold, I got the basic $500 obligation for the event sponsored within two days.

On Friday, I opened a special account just for the event and I'm asking people to provide their donations now. I hope to avoid the "PBS Donation Syndrome" by doing this. Essentially, if people aren't able to meet their comittments to me, I'll have additional time to solicit other parties prior to the event.

I have other donation requests out there. Hopefully some of them will come thru.

Addendum: I've been lucky enough to receive full tire sponsorship for the event from SB Motorsports in Puyallup, WA. Michelin's RULE!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Andre,
My name is Steve and I am an absolute, out of the blue, stranger from your point of view but I’ve known of you for several years now. Please let me explain. I’ve been a regular lurker on the TSBA (Dallas Chapter) site as well as a proper member of TWT (Two Wheeled Texans) & STN (Sport-Touring .Net). The TSBA site is how I’ve become acquainted with you. Recently you’ve been posting more frequently and it’s been like hearing from someone who you haven’t heard from in a long time. Your writing style and sense of humor has always brought out a chuckle. This morning at work while perusing the forums, I once again encountered your wit and as I wasn’t really interested in working this morning, I spent the next couple of hours reading all of your blogs in entirety using the links provided in your signature line.

All I can say to you is; WOW…Your courage and the ability to maintain your core character is an inspiration to all of us who feel that the world is pressing down heavily on us. You’ve lived through (and are still going through) more than I can ever imagine and still seem to have retained your sense of humor and appetite for life. I’m married, have two teenage daughters (3 wives actually), am a couple years older than you, ride a ZRX and a Concours, have had and overcome (hopefully) skin cancer issues and after reading about your ongoing adventure have nothing but respect and admiration for you and wish you well and good health in the future.

I have two requests:

Where do I send the pledge money for the Seattle 100?
and more importantly
In all I’ve read about you and your journey, I know very little about your partner Ed and how he’s holding up through this. You say he’s a saint and I’m sure he is but by using your blogs, you ‘re able to vent your feelings and face the hell hounds head on. That surely helps with the emotions that lurk in you deep down that are hard to visit. Does Ed also have an outlet and is he doing well too?

My best to both of you
Steve Bent
Allen, Texas
stevebent@mac.com

motopacsman said...

Thanks so much Steve. It's sorta difficult to believe that I might inspire others.... After all, I just get up in the morning and try to be myself.

Sometimes that's not a good thing, but I guess it works out overall.

If I can figure out how to edit these comments after posting, I'll get your email address removed from the comment for you.