Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Clumsy with a Saturn.

We awoke this morning to the doorbell. Yeah, I guess we should have been out of bed already by 8:30, but what's a poor 'retired' guy and his hubby gonna do on a lazy Tuesday.

Well, I found out what my day would consist of.

Some guy in a Saturn backed into the 4x4 that holds up my mailbox (and my neighbors). Snapped it right off at ground level. Both mailboxes were lying in the driveway.

Ok, so I didn't get my pants on early enough to answer the door, but our neighbor across the street watched it happen, as did the construction crew across the street (who I know peripherally, oddly enough).

I was contacted by my neighbor via email with a license plate number. Then the construction crew told me he'd left a note on my adjacent neighbor's door (but he hasn't been in the house for 7 months).

So I spent part of my day digging a new post-hole, burying and cutting a new 4x4, and transferring the boxes themselves. EXACTLY what I woke up thinking I'd do today. NOT! For some odd reason, I'm tired.

I left a message at the number he provided. His bill is gonna be 3 hours at $60/hr plus $10 for the post. Total of $190. We'll see how that works out.

No comments: