Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Oddest Thing.....

Something pretty unusual happened today as I stood in the kitchen looking out over our vast holdings (mess of a backyard).

We have hummingbirds (that's not the odd part, we have a hummingbird feeder so we know they exist) and a male I'd never seen before flitted into view.

The odd part was that he hovered between the feeder (hanging below the eaves) and an adjacent cheezy lantern I haven't taken down yet. He looked from one item to the next as if to say, "Bob told me to come over here for a good meal, but which one of these joints was he talking about?"

Yeah, I realize that's anthropomorphism at its worst, but it honestly seemed that he was confused. (It was sorta like I feel sometimes.)

After a good 5 seconds making up his little birdbrain, he buzzed toward the lantern first, realized his mistake, and then zipped over to the feeder. The little pig stayed for 3 big gulps and then flew off again. I've seen him 3 or 4 times since. Maybe he likes the food but doesn't care for the decor or the service.

1 comment:

Mel said...

hi! thanks for giving me the link to your blog. actually, i haven't read any post yet, but i'm just reporting that i found it. your blog title reminds me of my new phone... moto-rola!